Community Investments Program (CIP) advances and letters of credit are a cost-efficient way for FHLBank Indianapolis members to borrow long-term funds to support local economic development. CIP advances have been used to support affordable housing developments, commercial economic development, and mixed-use developments.
By pricing the advances at the cost of funds for similar maturities plus an administrative fee, CIP can be a powerful tool for economic growth. These funds can be structured as either variable or fixed rate, with terms as long as 20 years with a variety of amortizations. They are made on a secured basis only, with collateral requirements consistent with those on all FHLBank Indianapolis credit programs. Prepayment fees may also apply.
To qualify for CIP funding, any one of the following criteria must be met:
- The project is located in a neighborhood where the median income is at or below the targeted income level (100% of AMI for urban areas and 115% for rural areas).
- The project is located in a federal empowerment zone, enterprise community or champion community; Michigan Renaissance Zone, Indiana Enterprise Zone, areas impacted by federal military base closings; areas eligible for federal Brownfield Tax Credits; federal/state disaster areas.
- Fifty one percent of the families or individuals served by the project are at or below the program’s targeted income level.
- The beneficiary is a small business as defined by the Small Business Act and the SBA.
- The annual salaries for at least 51% of the permanent full and part-time jobs, computed on a full-time equivalent basis, created or retained by the project, other than construction jobs, are at or below the targeted income level for the type of business.
- Housing projects/activities must involve the purchase, construction or rehabilitation of, or pre-development financing of housing that meets one of the following guidelines:
- Individual owner-occupied housing units, each of which is purchased or owned by a family with an income at or below 115% of AMI.
- Rental housing where at least 51% of the units are occupied by, or rents are affordable to, families with incomes at or below 115% of AMI.
Forms and instructions on how to apply are posted below.
Technical assistance is available by calling the FHLBank Indianapolis Community Investment staff at 800.688.6697 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
HOW TO APPLY
NEW! Applications are now done through our new online system FHLBI.GIVES. Members must register for user access using the FHLBI.GIVES User Registration form found below. The application process is open year-round, with processing typically completed within five to seven business days. All of the project’s loans must be closed and funds fully disbursed, or construction draws funded, within a period beginning three months prior to the CIP funding date and/or ending six months after the funding date. Users will need to register through FHLBI.GIVES in order to submit an application.
FHLBank Indianapolis staff is available to help qualify projects. A funds-only commitment will be established when both the Community Investment and Credit Services departments have approved the application. A single report is required within the six-month commitment period. There is no ongoing follow-up monitoring required.
Community Investment Program (CIP)